When I was walking around my parents ranch I stepped on a nail the wound is in the side of my foot please tell me how I can get it to stop hurting.?

Dr. Luke Hermann
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Time

It will stop hurting as it heals.
In the meantime be sure your tetanus is up to date (within the last 10 years) and keep the wound clean. Watch for signs of infection- redness, swelling or drainage and take Ibuprofen 600mg every 6 hours for pain.

In brief: Time

It will stop hurting as it heals.
Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. Luke Hermann
Dr. TRUC DAO

In brief: PENETRATING WOUNDS

Without exception, all penetrating wounds need be seen by a doc, or at least call immediately a doc, call an er. Most penetrating injuries bring germs deep inside and most will cause severe infection.
All humans need a tetanos shot each 10years, or a small injury can kill very painfully.Unless you know the thing that caused the injury is sterile, you have no choice = not gamble with life.

In brief: PENETRATING WOUNDS

Dr. TRUC DAO
Dr. TRUC DAO
Dr. Gary Birnbaum

In brief: See a doctor

The wound needs to be evaluated by a doctor. The nail may have injured a bone or other internal structure.
There also could be a foreign body in the wound and/or an infection. Your doctor will also need to be sure that you have been immunized against tetanus. The pain indicates that you seek medical attention and see a doctor on an urgent basis.

In brief: See a doctor

Dr. Gary Birnbaum
Dr. Gary Birnbaum