Is medical tourism safe? I am looking for affordable weight loss surgery abroad?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: Buyer Beware!

I would have serious concerns about leaving the country to receive health care, especially if it is solely for financial reasons.
In general, you get what you pay for; furthermore, there is nothing more expensive than a complication of surgery. Have you exhausted all options with your insurance carrier?

In brief: Buyer Beware!

Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Martin Raff
There are numerous facilities offering excellent care, predominantly in nations with low standards of living. Cardiovascular surgery in areas of India, as an example, is performed superbly by highly competent personnel, often trained in the USA. Problems may arise, however, when there are complications.
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics

In brief: Not really

Postop care and education/followup are key to success.
It is best to have a local bariatric program for best support also the legal environment in the us nearly ensures a safer surgery because the surgeon is highly accountable. On other countries, there is little recourse.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn

In brief: Follow up essential

With any weight loss surgical option, the surgery is only the beginning.
Long-term follow up is essential to ensure that you stay on track with the weight loss as well as maintain proper nutrition. This can be difficult to do if traveling abroad. Safer to choose a local surgeon.

In brief: Follow up essential

Dr. Glenn Forrester
Dr. Glenn Forrester

Be careful - but know prices here have dramatically decreased recently.

Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Terry Simpson
Dr. Scott Welle
Bariatrics

In brief: Be careful

There are many good surgeons abroad, however, performing the surgery is the easy part of bariatrics.
Going abroad means no long term follow up, which if you have a band is essential to success. It also means that if you do have problems you are often on your own to figure what is wrong.

In brief: Be careful

Dr. Scott Welle
Dr. Scott Welle

In brief: Depends

You would need to do your research to be sure you are going to a medically very safe place that has a lot of experience.
In my mind, the additional concern is who you would see at home if there are any troubles or concerns, or what medical doctor would take over your care and medical management at home.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Mark Hoepfner
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery