Is there a way to fade a scar after chest surgery?

Dr. Ram Kalus
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Maybe.
If your scar is immature, (less than a year), it may continue to fade with time.
Scar massage can be helpful. If the scar is thick, pink, itchy, it my be hypertrophic or a keloid. For this there are specific treatments and a qualified dermatologist or plastic surgeon should be able to advise you.

In brief: Maybe.
Dr. Ram Kalus
Dr. Ram Kalus
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Fading scars
In addition to tincture of time, one can help fade scars by keeping them out of the sun (this intensifies pigment production).
There are also commercial products like silicone sheeting which help. One available otc is scar guard by johnson and johnson. It is less messy than liquid ones like mederma but granny's cocoa butter works good with massage also!

In brief: Fading scars
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Probably
Depending on the age and condition of the scar, silicone treatments may help.
I recommend scar fade for most of my patients. Other products are available. For older scars, other treatments like peels, lasers, scar revisions, etc are available. Seek a knowledgable md.

In brief: Probably
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Robert Alexander
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Silicone gel sheets
Use of silicone gel sheeting is effective in reducing the rope-like scars and redness.
Worn for several hours each day, kept very clean when not in place, will shorten the scar maturation course. Thought due to keeping the wound occluded and moist.

In brief: Silicone gel sheets
Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. Robert Alexander
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology