What is the difference between phobias and just being crazy?

Dr. John Moranville

In brief: A lot

A phobia is a specific fear of a place, thing, or event.
Crazy is a generic term which is a derogatory way of referring to someone with a mental illness or is often used to indicate some sort of unusual or risky behavior.

In brief: A lot

Dr. John Moranville
Dr. John Moranville
Dr. Neil Liebowitz

In brief: What's normal?

Crazy is hurting others senselessly.
It is not a psychiatric term but a term of prejudice and derision. This is an offensive question in that it demeans the suffering that people who have excessive fears experience. Phobias are conditioned fear responses that are irrational-like pavlovs dogs. They can be one or many. See my book psychiatry in technocolors on amazon.Com.

In brief: What's normal?

Crazy is hurting others senselessly.
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Dr. Neil Liebowitz