I have diabetic retinopathy. Can I get referral to diabetologist to manage my blood sugar?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: You should
Endocrinologists are trained for years specifically to take care of people with disorders like diabetes.
Managing blood sugar becomes more complicated when there's already eye disease so it's important that you consult with the right specialist. Additionally, many patients with diabetic retinopathy may also have kidney disease as well which an endocrinologist will address as well as other issues.

In brief: You should
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: Probably yes.
From the clinical stand point you should and could only benefit by seeing a specialist however depending on your primary doctor's practice style and the type of diabetes that you have it may not be necessary.
Type 1 diabetics and type 2 with poor control would benefit the most. The fact that you have retinopathy speaks for poor control over the preceeding 5 years.

In brief: Probably yes.
Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Dr. Eduardo Haddad
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Obligatory
I hope that eye problems are not your primary issue and that your diabetes has been managed in the past.
You need to have a retinal specialist evaluate and treat your retinopathy. He can refer you to a diabetic specialist as the outcomes will be better in the long run if the diabetes is brought under good control.

In brief: Obligatory
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Arnon Rubin