How do I tell my parents I want gastric bypass surgery?

Dr. Mark Diamond
In brief: The Truth
Tell the truth as to why you believe this option is necessary for you.

In brief: The Truth
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Hmmm.
I respect dr. Kuhn's answer. But it also occurs to me, if you're young enough to need parental approval, you're young enough to change your lifestyle and lose the weight.
Hard work now will pay off for life.

In brief: Hmmm.
Hard work now will pay off for life.
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Vivek Huilgol
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Bariatrics
In brief: Learn together
Might be beat to just explore the options of bariatric surgery at a seminar or appointment together with parents.
In most cases, they would see the potential transformation in health and quality of life.

In brief: Learn together
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Joseph Kuhn
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Be honest
If you are overweight to the point that your health is threatened, you may be a candidate for weight loss surgery.
If you are a teen, be aware that the long-term data is mixed. Tell your parents that you want to live a healthy life, and show them by paying attention to diet and exercise. See your doctor and get on a safe weight-loss plan; this is a requirement before wieght-loss surgery.

In brief: Be honest
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology