How does the birth control pill work?

Multiple ways. Birth control pills contain hormones that prevent ovulation (release of an egg every month), alter cervical mucus, and render the uterine lining unfavorable for implantation. These additive effects reliably prevent pregnancy.
Prevent ovulation. The birth control pill works by preventing ovulation. The hormones in the pill suppress the hormones that would trigger the egg to develop and be released for fertilization. This is why most women do not have their periods while on the pill and often find relief of pelvic pain and ovarian cysts.