Is it necessary to go to ER for a possible broken rib?

Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Not emergent
If you think it's just a bruise, you will probably be ok, but if you think it might be more, you should get it looked at.

In brief: Not emergent
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Benjamin Taylor
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: No
Just rest needed .
.. Unless shortness of breath, then may need to get chest x-ray to make sure broken rib did not puncture and collapse your lung.

In brief: No
Just rest needed .
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Joseph Roosth
In brief: That Depends
No doctor is going to say conclusively no to that in my opinion.
However, most broken ribs are treated conservatively with pain medication and avoidance of aggravating factors. The problem is that a severly displaced rib fracture could compromise lung function. Fortunately, most rib fractures just hurt, a lot.

In brief: That Depends
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Joseph Roosth
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology