Is upper back pain, seeming to come from under the shoulder blade, actually shoulder (not back) pain?

Dr. Miles Singer
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: I can be....

This type of pain can be caused by either a back or shoulder problem or both.
Commonly caused by tendonitis of the shoulder that causes increased friction between the shoulder blade where it rubs against the spine and ribs, .

In brief: I can be....

Dr. Miles Singer
Dr. Miles Singer
Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology

In brief: Yes plus

I agree with drs.
Weston and singer but would also expand their answers because pinched nerve in neck or rarely in thoracic spine can cause similar symptoms.

In brief: Yes plus

I agree with drs.
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Rhomboid strain

Shoulder stabilizer muscle contracts with shoulder muscles it is on the back but works with shoulder similarly the gluteus muscles are leg muscles noy pelvis muscles.

In brief: Rhomboid strain

Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston