Do jaw expanding braces really work in stopping snoring in children?

Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: Maybe
There is not a definitive link in the literature yet, but many parents have reported this to me as well for kids undergoing expansion.
Snoring is adolescents often is induced by a constricted upper airway via swelling of the adenoids and/or reduced nasal space. Palatal expansion indirectly affects the airway and could improve the issue. I would also have an ENT evaluation for your child.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics
In brief: It could
If upper jaw matches width of lower jaw, do not do expansion.
If upper jaw narrow, expansion will increase airway and may help. Have ENT check tonsils and adenoids. Have orthodontist (such as dr peter pfaffenbach in schenectady--your home town) check transverse jaw relationships.

In brief: It could
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Jaw Surgery Snoring
In children, the best way to help relieve snoring is removing the tonsils and adenoids.
This will help most. I often also perform surgery to reduce swelling of the turbinates, if stuffy nose is also present. Jaw expansion may be helpful in children under age ~8 years, if there is a high-arched palate. Moving the lower jaw or upper jaw forward to expand the airway may be helpful. See an ent/orthodo.

In brief: Jaw Surgery Snoring
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine
In brief: In some yes
In some patients these can be very helpful.
You have to find out if the jaw is still forming by seeing orthodontist familiar with this. There is defnitely age when this can help. After teen years, not helpeful.

In brief: In some yes
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology