How does podiatry foot surgery differ from orthopedic doctor foot surgery?

In brief: No difference
With training occuring side by side, podiatrists and foot and ankle ortho learn the same techniques.
It is usually a personal preference on whom you want to see.

In brief: No difference
Dr. Tharesh Udupa
Dr. Tharesh Udupa
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Podiatry
In brief: Same Principles
The principles are the same, it is a matter of selecting a surgeon with whom you have a good rapport and have confidence in.
Look at the physician's education, training, and whether or not they are board certified. Also, take into consideration recommendations from friends and family that you trust.

In brief: Same Principles
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
Dr. Ellen Wenzel
In brief: None
It all comes down to how comfortable you feel with the Dr. The experience in performing the procedures is paramount.
Not all procedures are done by all surgeons. Each surgeon has their own preferences as well.

In brief: None
Dr. Rajeev Sehgal
Dr. Rajeev Sehgal
Dr. Robert Lupo
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Depends
A quality orthopedist and podiatrist are equal for foot surgery.
Fellowship trained orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon is your best bet.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Robert Lupo
Dr. Robert Lupo
2 comments
Dr. David Laha
I would have to disagree with Dr Lupo. A Podiatrist, especially one who is certified by the American Board of Pidiatric Surgery, would be an excellent choice. Most important is the patient's confidence in their surgeon. Dr L
Dr. Scott Koppel
I would also agree with Dr. Lupo. I won't sit here and disparage orthopedic surgeons, but your last sentence is your opinion and certainly not fact. There are both good and bad orthopedists and podiatrists and I have seen good and bad results from either discipline
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: Specialization
Orthopedic surgeons can treat any part of the body, while podiatrist only treat the foot and ankle.

In brief: Specialization
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
In brief: Not much
Foot surgery should be done by whichever is better trained and proficient at whatever procedure you are concerned with

In brief: Not much
Dr. Richard Taddeo
Dr. Richard Taddeo
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery