How are sickle cell anemia and malaria related? I've heard of an evolutionary advantage.

Sickle and malaria. Patients with sickle cell disease are protected againts severe and complicated malaria infection- by 2 mechanism: -1. Cells infected with malaria paracytes had accelerated sickling compared with noninfected cells- and as the result the cell would be destroyed/ promoting removal of infected cells from the circulation `2.Impaired paracyte growth due to reduce o2 content in sickle cell.
Great Info by Dr. Ho. In a person who has sickle-cell trait, the red blood cells are destroyed prematurely before the Plamodium can reproduce. According to one study “Sickle cell trait provides 60% protection against overall mortality. Most of this protection occurs between 2-16 months of life, before the onset of clinical immunity in areas with intense transmission of malaria.” .