I have trouble remembering to take my oral medication every day. What's a good way to remember? What should I do if I forget a dose?

Dr. Amy Friedman
Surgery - Transplant

In brief: Cell phone alert

Almost everyone has a fancy enough cell phone with various alert sounds that is possible to select a specific daily one as a medication reminder. This really does help as long as you keep the medication in a small, individual pill box with you.

In brief: Cell phone alert

Dr. Amy Friedman
Dr. Amy Friedman

In brief: Containers

The pharmacy has special containers divided up by day so that you can see what you have taken and what you still need to take.

In brief: Containers

Dr. Douglas Tavenner
Dr. Douglas Tavenner
2 comments
Dr. Eugene Batelli
They may forget where they put the container.
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
put a reminder on your cell phone
Dr. James Fox

In brief: Pair it

Pair the medication with an activity you already do every day, like brushing your teeth.
Put the bottle by your toothbrush. If you miss a dose, do not double up the next day. Just continue to take it as prescribed and if you miss a dose, you miss it.

In brief: Pair it

Dr. James Fox
Dr. James Fox
Dr. Eric Weisman