Does it matter if a child who has arthritis running in the family has a rolling backpack or a carrying backpack?

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Be comfortable

I am less concerned about the arthritis in the family and the back pack type.
My concern is that backpacks are getting heavier and heavier and i think there is the possibility for more neck, back, and shoulder injuries with carrying a back pack. However if the rolling back pack has to be constantly lifted and put in lockers etc, there is still the potential for injury. Limit the weight of either.

In brief: Be comfortable

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Steven Arbit
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: No

Studies have shown that children who carry heavy back packs have an increase in upper back and neck pain.
There have been no studies that suggest it increases the incidence of arthritis. This is with or without a family history of arthritis.

In brief: No

Dr. Steven Arbit
Dr. Steven Arbit
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine