I wash my face several times a day. Why do I still get acne?

Dr. Jerome Litt
Dermatology

In brief: Acne and Washing

Acne is not due to lack of washing.
It is due to hormone changes that are affected by many things: if you are a girl/woman, it often gets worse before the menstrual period. Cettain foods tend to aggravate acne: nuts, peanut butter, chocolate; dairy products (cheese, milk) in excess, and sugary foods. While washing is beneficial, it cannot rid your face of the blemishes.

In brief: Acne and Washing

Acne is not due to lack of washing.
Dr. Jerome Litt
Dr. Jerome Litt
Pathology

In brief: Unrelated

In spite of what anyone else has told you, and no matter how cruelly / foolishly, personal cleanliness has almost no effect on acne.
The bacteria are deep in the hair follicles and washing can't touch them. Best otc is benzoyl peroxide, i start folks adding topical clindamycin, moving to a systemic antibiotic or the birth control pill as is right for the individual. Good luck.

In brief: Unrelated

Dr. Marsha Davis