Does sleep apnea, or lack of sleep, make kids look like they have adhd, or does lack of sleep actually cause adhd?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Lack of sleep
Poor sleeping is a major cause of behavioral disturbance in children.
If your child snores, and if the snoring is significant it should be evaluated. I have seen remarkable changes in behavior in children with obstructing tonsils and adenoids following surgery. I have seen children with problems such as bed wetting cured by improving their airway.

In brief: Lack of sleep
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Pediatrics - Developmental & Behavioral
In brief: Both/either
It can cause mild-moderate adhd-like symptoms, but not severe ones.
If the child has significant drops in oxygen to his brain nightly, true deficits in cognition & attention can result.

In brief: Both/either
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Dr. Thomas Stern
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: ADHD and sleep apnea
The diagnosis of adhd is based on observed symptoms outlined in the dsm 4 (see http://www.
Cdc.Gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.Html). One exclusion criteria is that the symptoms are not due to another mental disorder. There is no exclusion for sleep deprivation or sleep apnea. Symptoms of sleep distrubance can be indistinguishable from adhd. Treating the sleep disorder will make the symptoms better.

In brief: ADHD and sleep apnea
Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Thomas Stern
Dr. Shontae Buffington