When is surgery used for acne scarring?

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology
In brief: Varies
Depends more if you are bothered by the scarring.
Redness after acne is not scarring. Scarring on the face are depressions, and rarely elevated areas. Once the acne is under control, laser can be an effective method for improving the scars.

In brief: Varies
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Frederick Coville
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: When it's right
Although i like many treatments for acne scarring that don't involve surgery, there are times when surgery really is the best option.
Especially for the "ice pick" type of scar. These are the ones that look like "holes" in the skin. The best treatment in my hands is excision of these, followed by deep chemical peels and resurfacing of the skin. I also like prp to help with the healing.

In brief: When it's right
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Frederick Coville
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: After it's stable
Correction of acne scarring should not be undertaken, generally, until the active acne process is brought under control.

In brief: After it's stable
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld
Dr. Harold Rosenfeld