I had cataract surgery in both eyes a year ago. I am left with a terrible astigmatism in my left eye. The right eye is fine. Can the toric lens he used be removed and a standard lens be put in?

Dr. George Yang
Ophthalmology

However, you need to find out why you still have astigmatism.
The toric lens should have corrected that. Either your astigmatism is stronger than what the lens could correct, the toric lens is not placed or oriented in the ideal position, or something else besides astigmatism is causing your symptoms. Before removing any lens, the cause of your symptoms needs to be identified.

Dr. Douglas Liva
Ophthalmology

In brief: Adjust Toric lens

A toric lens is designed to reduce corneal astigmatism.
If you still have significant astigmatism either the lens is not aligned with the steep axis of the corneal astigmatism or is the wrong power. A slit lamp exam can determine if the lens is misaligned and the lens can be rotated to the correct axis if necessary. If the power is off the iol can be exchanged or corneal surgery can be perform.

In brief: Adjust Toric lens

Dr. Johnstone Kim
Ophthalmology - Retinal Surgery

The options can include a toric hard contact lens vs.
Glasses vs. Removal of the toric lens and placement of another intraocular lens. A second surgery is much more difficult and has a higher complication rate. Depending on the situation, you may need to get a vitrectomy surgery in addition and you my need a rigid contact lens regardless if there is significant corneal abnormalities.

Dr. Theodore Wu
Ophthalmology

In brief: Toric

Yes....Other solutions are glasses, contact lenses, and possible lasik.

In brief: Toric

Dr. Jon Fishburn
Ophthalmology

Yes a toric iol can be removed but have your eye md review your refraction and toric iol placement.
Sometimes the toric iol rotates off the intended axis of placement thereby affecting your astigmatism correction. If the iol is in the wrong axis, it can be repositioned. Only a careful exam can determine this. Other ideas: irregular astigmatism, too much preop astigmatism, capsular opacification...

Dr. Steven Seres