Are sinus infections common in people with allergies? How do you know your allergies have turned into an infection?

Secretions. The main difference between allergies and sinus infections is thick, green secretions every time you blow your nose - this typically doesn't occur with allergies. Extreme sinus pressure is also more likely a sign of an infection rather than allergies. Also, allergies never cause a fever.
Allergy & Sinusitis. People with allergies are more prone to sinus infections, particularly when allergies are not under control. Inflammation of the nasal lining from allergies, close off the drainage pathways of the sinuses so they are not able to drain. This, combined with a viral upper respiratory tract infection provides the ideal environment for a bacterial infection to take hold.