If a tooth is hurting, can I take antibiotics instead of having to do dental work?

Dr. Stephen Scarantino
In brief: Check with Dentist
For my OB patients that have dental/gingival infections or require antibiotics after a dental procedure, certain antibiotics are safe to take while pregnant.
However, if your dentist/dental surgeon feel that the problem you have requires a dental procedure, antibiotics will not take the place of that. Continuing good oral hygiene during pregnancy with regular brushing and flossing is important.

In brief: Check with Dentist
Dr. Stephen Scarantino
Dr. Stephen Scarantino
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
In brief: Toothache
It depends on what is causing your toothache.
Antibiotics can help if there is an infection like an abscess. If it is caused by a big cavilty or a crack, antibiotics will not help.

In brief: Toothache
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Troy Reyna
often antibiotics will help with an abcess, but if the root is involved oftentimes a root canal will be needed after the infection resolves.
Dr. Arnon Rubin