Will my age affect my surgery?

Effect of age on Sur. Yes, in many cases age plays an important part in the need or desirability of surgery as well as the outcome of any surgery. For instance, a positive diagnosis of prostate cancer requires serious consideration of surgery in a man of 40 years, but such surgery is not required if the same diagnosis is made in a man of 85 years. Advanced age also significantly increases the risk of surgery.
Yes:physiologic age! The decision to recommend surgery is always predicated on what the risk vs. Benefit is to the patient. Therefore, age may play a very big role in the relative benefit and risk. With that said, it is important to distinguish physiologic age vs. Chronologic age: a 60 yr old obese smoker may be at much higher risk than a healthy 80 yr old with no heart or lung disease.