I have fever, a little bit, with scratchy throat. How can I tell a cold from a strep throat?

May be difficult. Initially, it may be very difficult. A strep throat however, is often accompanied by a headache and/or abdominal pain, as well as a fairly severe headache as well as a progressively severe sore throat that will make even swallowing difficult. Some affected people may also develop a rash--often described as feeling like sandpaper--that is particularly prominent in skin folds, such as the elbow.
Bacterial Infection. Strep tonsillitis symptoms are fever, sore throat, headache, chills and bodyaches whereas colds is viral with nasal congestion as the prominent symptoms .
See your doctor. Flue- like symptoms needs to be seen by health provider, sorethroat with bacterial infection needs to be treated with antibiotics to avoid complications, .