What is the best over-the-counter remedy for toenail fungus? Is it okay that I use nail polish? They look yellow and terrible.

Toenail fungus. There is no good otc treatment for toenail fungus. The laquers work slightly better than the creams, but it will basically only slow the process down. To get effective treatment you really need a prescription medication like Lamisil (terbinafine) (250 mg daily for 42 days) or sporanox. These are now available cheaply as generics (about $30 for a 6 week course).
No OTCs. Don't waste you time on otc meds. They don't work. Polish is a good cover up but it doesn't treat the problem. Besides anti-fungal pills, the best thing to try is laser.
Fungal Nails. Fungal infection of the nails is common, & no otc meds are proven to clear it. That said, it is usually a cosmetic problem & not a functional one. Nail polish won't hurt & will cover up the problem, which is often enough. There are medicines that can clear fungus from nails, but they can be expensive, & interact w/other meds. See your dr for more information.