Is it safe to use proactive for acne while I am pregnant?

Justin Fuehrer
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Unknown

The active ingredient in proactive is benzoyl peroxide which is considered a pregnancy category c medication.
This means that essentially it is unknown if there is an adverse outcome in pregnancy as there have not been any human studies performed. If the acne is something you can live with, i would recommend just using soap and water and avoiding medication. Or go to see a dermatologist.

In brief: Unknown

Justin Fuehrer
Justin Fuehrer
Answer assisted by Justin Fuehrer, Medical Student
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Proactive

Proactive contains benzoyl peroxide(bp).
BP is a pregnancy category c. This means that animal studies show adverse fetal effects but no controlled human studies or no animal or human studies; weigh possible fetal risk vrs maternal benefit. I would not recommend that you use proactive.

In brief: Proactive

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher