I think I may have allergies this spring. Can I take loratidine everyday till the end of summer?

Dr. Stevan Cordas

In brief: Antihistamines

You can. Many people take antihistaines as a preventative treatment instead of after the attack.
Certain allergies become less as we get closer to the fourth of july since pollination of most trees and grasses ceases and the weather is dryer. Check to see if your allergies have calmed down around that time.

In brief: Antihistamines

Dr. Stevan Cordas
Dr. Stevan Cordas
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Cordas is correct. I just think Loratadine is a crappy oral antihistamine. Fexofenadine or Cetirizine are better. But why take a systemic med when you can see an allergist and find out exactly what u r allergic to. And find a better therapy than oral antihistamines
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: SAFE to TAKE

Loratidine ( generic for claritin) is safe to take daily for long-term use.

In brief: SAFE to TAKE

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Yes but.....

Spring allergies are generally the result of tree and grass pollen - but there may be other allergens depending upon where you live.
Antihistamines help for sneezing and itchiness. Nasal congestion is probably better helped by nasal steroids. If ones symptoms are really bad or one has other problems(asthma) then allergy immunotherapy may be more helpful.

In brief: Yes but.....

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Arnon Rubin