Mri says possible torn labrum but doctor gave me shot in shoulder cortizone (hydrocortisone) why? Cant understand this and told me w weeks call in with status why ?

Dr. James Bicos
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

The MRI is not the answer. 90% of the diagnosis and treament course come from the history and physical examination.
The MRI is just one piece of the puzzle. Depending on what your exam was, the "possible" labral tear may not even be relevant. I would still continue the treatment for now. Ask him at the next visit what the plans are. You can also get a second opinion.

In brief: Depends

Dr. James Bicos
Dr. James Bicos
Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: MRI specificity

An MRI does not always do a great job of detecting a clinically significant labral tear. Most labral tears do not need to be fixed and most do not cause problems.
On top of that, an MRI can completely miss a labral tear in as much as 20% of the time. It can also see insignificant labral tears in as much as 20% of cases. Because of this, the clinical course and examination is much more important!

In brief: MRI specificity

Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Allen Lu
Dr. Claude Parola

In brief: For pain

If lesion was not severe enough to warrant an orthopedic surgeon evaluation, your doctor gave you the steroid shot to decrease your pain and probably the inflammation, you should keep the appointment with him to see the progress or healing of the lesion.

In brief: For pain

Dr. Claude Parola
Dr. Claude Parola