Im a 38 yr old male. Fasting LDL is 165, HDL 45 and trigs 131. My family history is pretty clean. Should I start 10mg lipitor (atorvastatin)? My dr thinks I should.

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: I would
I would, but, ultimately, it's up to you.
(in point of fact, i do). There's no point in taking a statin for a brief period. It's effective over the long term. A concentration camp type diet would lower your cholesterol just as effectively. Which course do you see as preferable? A prudent diet with Lipitor (atorvastatin) is a powerful combination. Do you believe in treating advanced disease or preventing it?

In brief: I would
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
2 comments
Dr. Martin Bress
In the absence of high blood pressure, diabetes and smoking your 10 year risk of an event is very low. life style adjustments, diet & exercise and weight loss are the first priorities. you may be surprised that future test may show significant improvement.
Dr. Bennett Werner
What Dr. Bress says is, of course, true. However, the vast majority of people with MI have "normal" cholesterol values. The Jupiter trial showed improved outcome even in those without elevated cholesterol. I don't know about Dr. Bress, but every cardiologist I personally know uses a statin regardless of their level of cholesterol.
Dr. William Cromwell
Clinical Lipidology
In brief: Depends on Particles
Both labs and risk factors are important in knowing cardiovascular (cvd) risk.
More than cholesterol, cvd is related to the number of LDL (ldl-p) and HDL particles (hdl-p). Because cholesterol in LDL and HDL particles is highly variable cholesterol levels often disagree with particle number. When cholesterol and particle number disagree cvd risk tracks with ldl-p and hdl-p, not ldl-c or hdl-c.

In brief: Depends on Particles
Dr. William Cromwell
Dr. William Cromwell
This is good advice. Ask about a cheaper statin and whether adopting a fitness-focused lifestyle might be things to do first.
Dr. Colin Kerr
In brief: High LDL
If you have a healthy lifestyle, the choice is optional.
By that i mean, 0 cigarettes, 5 servings of fruits & vegetables a day, 10 minutes of relaxation of some kind, a bmi < 30, and 150 minutes of exercise a week. This would put you in a very low risk group (and would probably lower your cholesterol some.) if you wanted to lower your risk even more, then think of taking 10 mg lipitor (atorvastatin).

In brief: High LDL
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology