I'm currently taking sucralfate and Prilosec for a ulcer this week has been hand and I only take the meds when in need. Should I be taking them dail?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Not enough
You are taking part of the regimen designed to eliminate helicobacter pylorus, an infection of the stomach lining which can lead to ulcers.
Generally antibiotic is also added to sulfacrate and prilosec. Consult with your family doc (or GI doc) to optimize this treatment. It will need to be taken every day for 3-4 weeks to maximize the effectiveness.

In brief: Not enough
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
In general if you have an ulcer, you should take your medications as prescribed as that is the best way to heal the ulcer.Taking medicines as you need usually will not allow that healing to occur. And because ulcers can be infection or can lead to more serious problems you need follow-up.
Sometimes people say "ulcer" when they have reflux or dyspepsia. Intermittent symptoms can be treated as needed.

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. William Forsythe