4 doctors weighed in:

What are the causes of astigmatism?

4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry
2 doctors agree

In brief: Refractive Error

Here is a great article by mayo clinic: http://www.
Mayoclinic.Com/health/astigmatism/ds00230/dsection=causes. Astigmatism has to do with distortions of the curves in the cornea or the lens of the eye.

In brief: Refractive Error

Here is a great article by mayo clinic: http://www.
Mayoclinic.Com/health/astigmatism/ds00230/dsection=causes. Astigmatism has to do with distortions of the curves in the cornea or the lens of the eye.
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Thank
Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology
1 doctor agrees

In brief: Cornea, lens

In astigmatism, light that enters the eye is refracted more in one direction than the other, allowing only part of the object to be in focus at one time.
95% of the time, this is caused by differences in curvature in different axes of the cornea on the front of the eye. The cornea does 2/3 of the focusing of light in the eye. The other 1/3 is done by the lens, which causes 5% of astigmatism.

In brief: Cornea, lens

In astigmatism, light that enters the eye is refracted more in one direction than the other, allowing only part of the object to be in focus at one time.
95% of the time, this is caused by differences in curvature in different axes of the cornea on the front of the eye. The cornea does 2/3 of the focusing of light in the eye. The other 1/3 is done by the lens, which causes 5% of astigmatism.
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Thank
Read more answers from doctors