Cancer patient having fever. What can I do to help him?

Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Call Oncologist

It is important to contact his oncologist about a fever.
His immune system may be suppressed and any infection needs to be dealt with promptly.

In brief: Call Oncologist

Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Dr. Keith Stockerl-Goldstein
Dr. Liawaty Ho

In brief: Fever

If you currently are on chemo and you have fever- -especially if you have a significant low white cells and have a temperature of 100.
4 or more, you will need to call your oncologist immediately or er. Febrile neutropenia is a serious condition. If you are not currently on chemo, and if your white cell is fine and fever is only low grade-you may take tylenol/nsaids-and pcp if not getting better.

In brief: Fever

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Travis Smith
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Tylenol/motrin/PCP

This is complicated, but the short answer is i would use tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin and take him to the doctor. I would be more concerned if they were currently undergoing chemotherapy.

In brief: Tylenol/motrin/PCP

Dr. Travis Smith
Dr. Travis Smith
Dr. Vicken Poochikian