What is botulism?

Botulism. This is a bacterial infection. Symptoms are caused by the bacterial release of botulinim toxin. If caught early treatment can be very effective.
Botulism explained. Botulism is a condition that develops due to a toxin that is released by a bug when it is ingested with food. Once absorbed, this toxin paralyses the nerves causing facial and limb paralysis and can be life-threatening at times. Treatment requires hospitalisation and close monitoring. Avoiding contaminated food products is the best preventive strategy.