I have a lump in my arm I was told it was a lipoma what is that and how do I get rid of it. And is it dangerous?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Benign Fatty Tumor
Lipomas are non cancerous growths that may occur anywhere on your body, usually evident as a rubbery lump that can be felt just under the skin.
They can be easily removed (often under local anesthesia in an office-setting, depending on it's size and location). Removal is advised if it is enlarging or causing discomfort, although many request removal for aesthetic reasons.

In brief: Benign Fatty Tumor
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice
In brief: NOT dangerous
A lipoma is a benign 'fatty tumor' under the skin and they are very common.
The condition 'tends to run in families'. 'to get rid' of a lipoma a surgery has to be scheduled and can usually be done in the office (i removed one last week from a gentleman's forearm). The indications (reasons) for lipoma removal are: pain or 1 that is growing rapidly.

In brief: NOT dangerous
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Matt Malkin
Anesthesiology
In brief: Collection of fat
I hesitate to use the term "tumor" because it implies cancer.
Basically just a collection of fatty tissue, not known to be cancerous. Very common. People often get them removed for cosmetic reasons as they can get big. Theoretically can compress on deep structures like nerves or vessels, but usually not. Removal can be done under local, sedation or general anesthesia depending on size and depth.

In brief: Collection of fat
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Matt Malkin
Dr. Mark Pack
Surgery
In brief: Fat lump
Lipomas are abnormal fatty tissue.
They can only be removed by surgical excision.

In brief: Fat lump
Lipomas are abnormal fatty tissue.
Dr. Mark Pack
Dr. Mark Pack