I am on the mini pill, how effective is it?Should I use an another birth control method in addition to the pill?Just had a baby 5 weeks ago!

Dr. George Kingsley III

In brief: For a while

The mini pill is a progestin-only pill (contains no estrogen) and is commonly used post-partum especially for women who are breast-feeding.
The first month is not 100% effective so i recommend condom use until you've had a period and started on your second pack of pills. Congrats on the new baby!

In brief: For a while

Dr. George Kingsley III
Dr. George Kingsley III
Dr. Renee Harris

In brief: It is effective

The minipill is very effective if taken correctly.
After you have been on it for a week, you are protected. You need to rake it everyday at about the same time (i usually tell my patients within a 3 hour range). If you are late taking the pill, or forget it, you will need to use backup contraception (like condoms) for the next 2 days. Keeping your pills by your toothbrush or coffeepot may help.

In brief: It is effective

Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Jonathan Jassey