I have evaporative dry eye & blepharitis: warm eye compress causes me eyes discomfort and little pain. Any alternative. Thanks for any advice.?

Dr. Richard Witlin
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

Warm compresses should not hurt if you are doing them properly.
Go over the right technique with your doctor. Another option might be lipiflow, a newer and possibly more effective way to combine warmth and eye lid massage.

Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. George Yang
Ophthalmology

In brief: Other treatments

It is possible that if you are using dry heat, that your eyes feel more dry after the warm compress.
Ultimately, it just means that your eyes are very dry. Try maximizing other treatment modalities to improve the overall health of your eyes. Azasite drops, Doxycycline orally, omega-3 fish oils, and just massaging the lids after a shower. As your eyes improve, you can then add the warm compresses.

In brief: Other treatments

Dr. George Yang
Dr. George Yang
Dr. Jodi Luchs
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Should feel good

In general, warm compresses and lid massage should feel good.
Make sure not to make them too hot. The lipiflow procedure may be a more comfortable alternative. You may also wish to talk to your doctor about other medical treatments for blepharitis as there are certain medications which can be helpful such as topical Azithromycin or oral doxycycline.

In brief: Should feel good

Dr. Jodi Luchs
Dr. Jodi Luchs
Dr. Matthew Goren
Ophthalmology

In brief: Too hot?

I've never heard of gentle warm compresses causing discomfort in thousands of cases i've treated.
I wonder if the temp is too high? Don't push on the eyes. Just gentle warm compresses for 5 minutes once a day.

In brief: Too hot?

Dr. Matthew Goren
Dr. Matthew Goren
Dr. Andrea Brand