How should I treat tennis elbow?

Dr. Ty Endean
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Stretch
Tennis elbow or lateral epicondylitis is inflammation of the extensor tendons at their attachment site on the humerus.
Aggressively stretching with your wrist in flexion while your elbow is held in absolute extension will help facilitate stretching them out. Nsaid's, massage therapy, braces and even sometimes injections with either cortisone or prp are often used.

In brief: Stretch
Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Ty Endean
2 comments
Dr. Oscar Vazquez
I also add that patients should try to limit wrist extension and lift objects with hand supinated or facing up. Also important is proper ergonomics with typing. It is important to have your wrists slightly flexed with support under the wrist. Having wrist in constant extension exacerbates symptoms.
Dr. Rebecca Yu
I agree with Dr. Vazquez regarding ergonomics and turning the palm up to lift things. I want to point out that it has been shown many times over that a cortisone injection is no more effective than an injection of saline for treatment of tennis elbow. The physical puncturing of the tendon may contribute to bleeding and healing, but the cortisone adds nothing. Time is the most definitive treatment.
David Miller
In brief: Physical Therapy
Tennis elbow is a common name for lateral epicondylitis.
This is an inflammation of the bump on the outside of your elbow where the muscles that extend your wrist attach, caused by overuse. A do skilled in osteopathic manipulation should have several treatment options for you. Physical therapy is essential. In the meantime, i would suggest rest, ice and NSAID as needed.

In brief: Physical Therapy
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: R.I.C.E.
Rest, ice, compression are usually a good initial treatment.
The is a brace known as a counter force brace that can help as can taking an anti- inflammatory. If that does not work, seeing an orthopedic surgeon for a cortisone shot usually takes care of it.

In brief: R.I.C.E.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Edward Hellman
Dr. Teddy Atik
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Rest
you have to baby the elbow and do less of what caused it in the first place.
you have to avoid lifting with the muscles that extend your elbow and lift more with your biceps tendon. take antiinflammatories and seek the help of a hand surgeon if you dont improve for a cortisone shot

In brief: Rest
Dr. Teddy Atik
Dr. Teddy Atik
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine