Is obscene language (coprolalia) a typical symptom of ts?

Dr. Philip Rosenblum

In brief: In some cases

Repeated, stereotypical movements called "tics" are typical in ts (tourette's syndrome).
Some patients have a vocal component. Most of the time, the patient emits a simple sound. Some of the time the sound is a "curse" word.

In brief: In some cases

Dr. Philip Rosenblum
Dr. Philip Rosenblum
David Miller

In brief: Not common

Coprolalia is one of the more "flashy" symptoms of tourette syndrome (ts).
When talk shows do episodes on ts, they always fill the stage with folks shouting spontaneous obscenities. However, in reality, coprolalia is a rather uncommon symptom of ts. Typical symptoms are sudden, involuntary movements and/or small vocalizations/noises. If you are worried about ts or tics your doctor can help.

In brief: Not common

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student

In brief: Rarely

In two years of attending a TS clinic during training and decades of following an occasional TS patient in my practice I never, ever heard one with coprolalia.
It is occasionally mentioned in the literature and promoted in Hollywood's exploitation of the disease, but rarely seen. It would NEVER be considered typical.

In brief: Rarely