Had holiday gathering with multiple family members and found out that many had cystic fibrosis. What can I do to prevent it?

In brief: CF is genetic

Cystic fibrosis is a disorder passed thru the genes of both parents, silent in the carrier parent & expressed in the affected kid who has inherited an affected gene from both parents.
One mutation(delta 509) is the most common but others occur and variations in intensity do occur. I believe you can have carrier testing to see if u carry a gene, then avoid a starting a pregnancy with another carrier.

In brief: CF is genetic

Dr. Kristen Stuppy
Genetic testing is available and recommended with a family history. Talk to your OB/GYN or FP (and a genetic counselor if you are positive for the gene) to help with family planning.
Dr. Erik McClain

In brief: CF worry

Hi Erikka, CF is a genetic disease.
At your age you likely will not have it(very rare). But, you may be carrying the trait. It is autosomal recessive, meaning if you have children with someone who carries the trait, you have a 25% chance of a child with CF. genetic testing will be helpful.

In brief: CF worry

Hi Erikka, CF is a genetic disease.
Dr. Erik McClain
Dr. Erik McClain
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics - Pulmonology

In brief: Testing

CF is a genetic disease.
I would suggest having a genetic screening test if you have no symptoms and are healthy. The screening tests detect most major genetic defects of the CFTR gene. If you are having symptoms, including sinusitis, digestive and lung problems, I would suggest a visit with your physician. They will order additional testing, including a sweat chloride test.

In brief: Testing

CF is a genetic disease.
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Dr. Noel Alonso

In brief: Nothing to do...

Cystic fibrosis is a genetically inherited condition affecting many organ systems, primarily lung and digestive systems.
Genetic testing now available for suspected mutations may help detect those persons carrying the gene and then the results discussed with a geneticist or other medical professional to determine your exact risk of transmitting the gene to your children.

In brief: Nothing to do...

Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Noel Alonso
Dr. Walter Kobasa
Also your partner could be tested. The genetist would have even a better chance of determing the risk of transmission
Dr. Cindy Juster