How do you treat reoccurring bv? I have been battling it for 2 years. I have been treated w/ antibiotics, tested 4 std- negative. Have type 2 diabetes

Dr. Bryan Treacy
Gynecology

In brief: Culture

With recurrent bv, culturing the vagina (medical diagnostic lab calls theirs oneswab) gives id of what is causing bc.
For instance, mobiluncus can only be treated with Clindamycin cream & mycoplasma responds to doxycycline. Most women are treated with oral Metronidazole which may not cover all organisms. Maintain vaginal ph with yogurt douches or rephresh weekly after treatment.

In brief: Culture

Dr. Bryan Treacy
Dr. Bryan Treacy
2 comments
Dr. Tracey Leaver-Williams
Also consider if there are any potential causes that you can get rid of such as prolonged bathing suit wearing, lots of exercise with sweaty clothes for prolonged periods. Changing your undergarments to cotton can help, as can "sterilizing " your panties
Dr. Bryan Treacy
Also good advice. This is a frustrating problem for many women. I believe I could make a good living just treating vaginitis. It's not as simple as many make it out.
Dr. Monique Ruberu

In brief: Vaginitis specialist

It's time you see a vaginitis specialist.
... Check in your area to see if there is one you can see... If you are bring treated for BV it is really important that you are being cultured to make sure they are treating the right kind of bv.

In brief: Vaginitis specialist

Dr. Monique Ruberu
Dr. Monique Ruberu
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham