I was a runner as a teen and notice that now running causes me hip and knee pain i never had before. Why is this and what can I do?

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Sports or orthop.dr.

Wear and tear on hard surfaces can be placed on lower extremities.
Forty-two percent of all overuse injuries affect the knee joint, and patellofemoral pain syndrome, runner's knee, a common overuse injury. It occurs when a mistracking kneecap (patella) irritates the femoral groove in which it rests.Hip pain for runners range from severe fractures, arthritis, to mild bursitis and muscle strain.

In brief: Sports or orthop.dr.

Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Gerald Mandell
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Check to see if

Your foot flattens or pronates.
As one grows older there is more wear and tear on the foot and if functioning in a less than optimal position or alignment this could indeed cause the problems you mention.

In brief: Check to see if

Your foot flattens or pronates.
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Knee/hip pain

Unfortunately, without further history and exam, it is really hard to tell what's causing your pain.
Either try to relay that information here or see a doc in your area.

In brief: Knee/hip pain

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Podiatry

In brief: Barefoot running

Although I have not evaluated you or know your running style, irregularities or injuries, many of my older patients with knee and hip problems have tried barefoot running (minimal shoes) to help with their pain.
Try to get evaluated with by a running expert/ doctor. If you need a referral, please let me know. Best of luck.

In brief: Barefoot running

Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Wenjay Sung
Dr. Michael Thompson
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Weekend warrior

The most obvious answer is -- you are out of shape.
You are still young, but not as young as you used to be. You may need to start slow and build up miles gradually. Also, stretch after warming up and after. With hip and knee (especially the outside/lateral part of knee) pain you may have a tight iliotibial band (itb). Google stretches for that. Good luck.

In brief: Weekend warrior

Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Michael Thompson
Dr. Vikram Patel