Just took my child to the doctor who diagnosed encephalitis. What is that? I need to tell the teacher.

Dr. Jason Adler
Pediatrics - Critical Care
In brief: Inflammated brain
Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain.
The cause is often viral, but can include other infections, autoimmune disorders, and genetic/inheritable problems. The symptoms can range from very mild and barely noticeable to severe, requiring hospitalization. You should discuss this further with your doctor.

In brief: Inflammated brain
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Jason Adler
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Neurology
In brief: Brain infection
Encephalitis is infection caused by viruses or other organisms with or without infection of the brain covering called meningitis-- encephalitis present with seizures or changes in behaviour usually seen by MRI or just guessing when looking at eeg- infection of the brain is at times more serious than just meningitis, because of chances of residual.

In brief: Brain infection
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Gamal Boutros
Dr. Eric Weisman