I am so worried. My kids only need to see the doctor for sports physicals. Now one has bronchiectasis. What should I say, in terms of effects on health and well-being?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Sweat test

Bronchiectasis is unusual in children with 2 exceptions - cystic fibrosis (CF) & allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis (abpa).
Abpa is a complication of persistent asthma. If you child has abpa there's likely a long history of wheezing & asthma episodes - that doesn't fit your story. Most CF patients also have long medical stories but sometimes lung change is sudden. Sweat chloride test needed.

In brief: Sweat test

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Manav Singla

In brief: Needs detailed eval

Bronchiectasis can happen on its own.
But it can also be the product of recurrent lung infections / pneumonia. At a minimum he should have a evaluation for immune problems, and a detailed assessment for possible asthma. There are other things to look for - but this is a good start.

In brief: Needs detailed eval

Bronchiectasis can happen on its own.
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Cindy Juster