Are there good alternative therapies for facial nerve paralysis?

Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No really

No dependable alternative therapies exist.
The cause of the paralysis is very important. A bell's palsy should probably be seen and treated by an ENT to ensure appropriate treatment (high dose steroids +/- decompression surgery). If the paralysis is complete, surgical options exists for the various problems associated with the paralysis. See a facial plastic surgeon w/ experience in this area.

In brief: No really

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery

In brief: Depends on the cause

Early in bells palsy decompression can prevent perm paralysis but, since most go away on their own- hard to choose candidate.
Cut nerve man be repaired by plastic surgeon, recovery usu<100% after age 30 and 1mm per day. No solution usu if stroke. Congenital can respond to high tech tissue(nerve muscle) by plastic surgeon. Ps- only real plastic surgeons do this. Start by looking for abps certificat.

In brief: Depends on the cause

Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
2 comments
Dr. Neil Giddings
Many doctors including head and neck surgeons and ENT facial plastic surgeons are capable and routinely do "free flaps" with muscular, vascular, and nerve inner action. It is misleading to suggest only ABPS certified surgeons provide high quality services in this area
Dr. James Sidman
I agree with Dr. Giddings. This type of specialty advertising does not belong on this site.
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Many but no good!

Treatment of facial nerve paralysis usually depends on what caused it.
Trauma may be treated with repair or using Botox for symmetry. I am in allopathic medicine, not alternative medicine so i cannot address those treatments. One I have heard of that will not harm is the use of b-vitamen complexes which are supportive for nerves. Too much can damage, so stick to recommended doses.

In brief: Many but no good!

Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Marguerite Barnett
Dr. Eric Weisman