I have recently started Combivent (albuterol and ipratropium) (4x/day) for asthma. Is this to be used as a rescue inhaler or do I use my ventolin inhaler or both?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Combivent (albuterol and ipratropium)

Typically Combivent (albuterol and ipratropium) (which has both ipratropium and albuterol) is reserved for patients with COPD whereas albuterol alone is for typical asthmatics.
Of course, every patient is different and we treat each patient differently. If you are unsure, call the doctor that prescribed for the best and surest answer to this question.

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. John Chiu

In brief: Rescue

Combivent (albuterol and ipratropium) is a rescue inhaler and contains both albuterol and ipatropium ( an anti-cholinergic).
It should not be used with albuterol unless you intend to double up on the albuterol dose. You should not use Combivent (albuterol and ipratropium) solely for asthma control and in fact your asthma may get worse with using it alone. I think you will to see an allergist or pulmonologist to get you on the right path.

In brief: Rescue

Dr. John Chiu
Dr. John Chiu
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology