16 yrs old pcos patient, on a diet for insulin resistance weight reduction. Its hard to be on track and my craving for chocolate are killing me!

Dr. Laurence Green
Bariatrics

In brief: Not suprised

You already know you are Insulin resistant, so you need to modify your diet appropriately and maybe take metformin (glucophage) to modify this consequence of pcos.
Losing weight and staying active, and certain foods/medications can decrease your appetite. Ask your pcp. You have a genetic challenge, so get your head around it, and follow well established guidelines for pcos.

In brief: Not suprised

Dr. Laurence Green
Dr. Laurence Green
Dr. Jane Van Dis
You've got a challenge but I know you can meet it. Sometimes when we have cravings, it's good to have some protein and fat as they can curb cravings and not increase blood sugar such as happens with carbohydrates. Dark chocolate actually has significantly less fat than milk chocolate and a few small pieces can cure a craving without affecting blood sugar too adversely. I keep Nestle Semi-Sweet chocolate chips (the small ones) in my freezer and sometimes 4-5 chips can do the trick for a craving. In this way, you're addressing the need without sacrificing your diet and goals to a great degree. Studies do show that when we deprive ourselves entirely, the cravings actually become worse. Exercise, of course, helps a lot with cravings too. Getting your heart rate up for 30-60 minutes a day will do wonders. Good luck!
Dr. Deborah Smith
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Keep with it

The craving will pass the longer you stay away from the carbohydrates.
With your diagnosis its important that you learn to regulate your diet and watch what you eat to prevent life long health issues...Dieting is tough for everyone stick with it-try some high protein snack bars some are chocolate covered!

In brief: Keep with it

Dr. Deborah Smith
Dr. Deborah Smith
Dr. Cindy Juster