I've been running for years with no problems, but lately I can hear crackling in my knees when I climb stairs. Does this mean I have osteoarthritis?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery
The answer is that the articular cartilage in your knee, particularly behind the knee cap is rough and irregular. That is why it makes noise, particularly when loading the knee in flexion (going up and down stairs and squatting).
However, just because the knee makes noise does not mean surgery is required. Usually a low impact quadriceps strengthening program can help offload the knee joint.

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. W. Batson
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: No
It sounds more likely that you have chondromalcia of the patellae.
This softening of the cartilage on the undersurface of the kneecap.

In brief: No
Dr. W. Batson
Dr. W. Batson
Dr. Arnon Rubin