Just diagnosed with kawasaki disease. Had many questions on the way home but doctor is gone now. Can you tell me about the condition?

Dr. Zuheir Said

In brief: Multiorgan disease

Children less than 5 years of age , first described in japan, of un known cause, affecting multiple organ systems( mucocutaneous, lymphatic, coronary artery of the heart, hospital admission and early institution of treatement is imperative.
Parents should be adviced to continue low dose Aspirin until coronary artery abnormalities is resolved. Serial echocardiograms are needed.

In brief: Multiorgan disease

Dr. Zuheir Said
Dr. Zuheir Said
Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Autoimmune

I'm assuming that your child was diagnosed, as it's seen most often under the age of 5.
Characterized by fever >5 days, rash, peeling lips, inflamed eyes, and peeling hands/feet/diaper area. If treated promptly, there aren't any real problems. If there is a delay, there can be coronary artery issues. Treatment is always in hospital, so i'm not sure why you're headed home.

In brief: Autoimmune

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Jonathan Jassey