I am a basket case. My son has low calcium. Can you tell me something about it?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Low calcium

There are many causes for low calcium so you need to talk to the doctor who ordered the lab that showed the low calcium to complete the workup and find out the cause.
The most common cause is low parathyroid hormone: either by destruction of the parathyroid glands due to past surgery or failure of the glands to form during fetal development. Sometimes you can get antibodies against the parathyroid.

In brief: Low calcium

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
2 comments
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specific treatment depends on the cause but usually you will need calcium AND (especially) vitamin D (the active form- calcitriol...)
Develpmental defects may be associated with heart defects and immune disorders.
Dr. Shontae Buffington