My neighbors say my new doctor tends to overdiagnose everyone. He thinks I might have epidermal cyst. Can you tell me the symptoms?

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dermatology

In brief: Skin cyst

There are two very common soft skin bumps.
One, a sebaceous cyst, is a blocked hair follicle unit, where the wall of the cyst is filled with thick, often smelly skin oil, called sebum. It is always benign, but can great quite large, soft ball size at times. It may leak some bad smelling cheese like guck. It can be removed easily. A lipoma, a 2nd kind of lump, is deeper and made of hard fat.

In brief: Skin cyst

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dr. Richard Feinstein

In brief: Cyst

Cysts generally are well-circumscribed.
Often they have an opening in the skin (called a punctum) from the skin pore it originated from. They are benign but can get really inflamed if the cyst material leaches out into the surrounding skin. Surgically removing them is the usual treatment but if one causes you no problems then they can be left alone.

In brief: Cyst

Cysts generally are well-circumscribed.
Dr. Donald Shenenberger
Dr. Donald Shenenberger