Just took my child to the doctor who diagnosed cat scratch disease. What is that? I need to tell the teacher.

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Infection

Cat scratch disease is a bacterial infection due to bartonella henselae.
It is not likely to be transmitted from child to child at school, particularly if your child is being treated. This disease is a zoonosis (transmitted from animals, usually cats, to humans, and not from human to human.

In brief: Infection

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff

In brief: Basic=not contagious

This is simply a germ most likely picked up from a small kitten that lead to a simple infection in your child's gland or glands.
It is not contagious from your kid to anyone.S/he should not be excluded from any class activities based on this problem.

In brief: Basic=not contagious

Dr. Cindy Juster