Do gp's prescribe alprozolam or lorazepam when one cannot tollerate antidepressants?

Dr. Mohammed Parvez

In brief: No

Alprazolam or Lorazepam are not the drugs intended to treat depression.
Please discuss other treatment options with your psychiatrist.

In brief: No

Dr. Mohammed Parvez
Dr. Mohammed Parvez
2 comments
I agree with Dr. Parvez. I hope that doctors don't reach for benzodiazapines in this situation but it probably can happen.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Antidepressant medications can have many side effects whereas common side effect of Alprazolam and Lorazepam is drowsiness. Mild to moderate Depression is best helped by psychotherapy. Severe Depression will require antidepressant medications and there are number of effective medications for the treatment..
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: Alprozalama/lorazepa

Gps can prescribe these medications if indication exists.
As you've been advised already, these medications are not used for depression. They can sometimes be used for anxiety for which antidepressants are used as well, but to use them is potentially addictive and you should explore less addictive choices first.

In brief: Alprozalama/lorazepa

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: For depression -

I hope not. Alprazolam and Lorazepam are benzodiazepine medications that are best for short term treatment of severe anxiety.
It is important to remember that there are a number of different classes of antidepressant medications. There are also mood stabilizers. However, what is really important are the non-medication forms of treatment that are being used.

In brief: For depression -

Dr. Eric Weisman